FC3 Download problems

Jared Buck JBuck814366460 at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 20:07:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 20:43 +0100, Tomas Deceuninck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the iso files for FC3 and buned them on a cd with nero 6
> (in windows XP). But when I instert the cd he does not boot at all.
>
> Plz help me becous I loved to work with the FC yarrow and I would like
> to start with FC3 but I cant seem to get it.
>
> tnx

This is an ALL-TOO-COMMON problem.  .iso files are NOT data files,
like .txt, .pdf, and other files are. They are "images" that compress an
entire CD's worth of data into a file.  To make the CD boot, you need to
burn the .iso file as an image file.  Most CD and DVD burning programs
have an option for burning image files.

Get yourself a set of fresh CD-Rs, then burn them as image files, NOT
data files.  If you burn them as data files, the disc won't boot.  The
best way to check to see if you burned it as a data file is to look at
the contents of the cd - if you see only one .iso file on it, you've
screwed up by burning it as a data file.

Burn .iso files as image files - that will extract the contents of
the .iso file and put them on the CD in their proper place.

Jared