An update is needed Fedora!

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Feb 22 23:32:40 UTC 2005

Rene Bon Ciric (Renich) wrote:
> Congratulations guys!
>
> You're fast!
>
> Anyways... I can't wait till May.  I neeed help now! If its not
> possible to update it following the structure FC3 haves, then the
> solution will be:
>
> Uninstall My current php, mysql and apache packages.

The upgrading tools will do just that, upgrade from the older versions
to the newer version. In either your yum or up2date configuration files
is a line that refers to a Development repository. If you uncomment the
lines you can upgrade httpd, php and mysql to the versions that are in
rawhide.

(httpd-2.0.53-4, mysql-4.1.9-1 and php-5.0.3-2).

For yum, you can enable the repo temporarily as explained in earlier
postings to the list. You should be able to find the commands to use in
the yum documentation.

The updating programs are also called dep resolvers and should pull in
any needed packages required to upgrade php, httpd and mysql to the
versions you require.

As commented earlier in this thread, "rawhide" (development) can lead ti
instabilities. I'm running it now and there are a few flukes, but
pulling in the programs you want with their required library versions
might fit your needs and not cause instabilities. (No promises though). :-)

I use up2date, you would edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to include a
development repo. From the commandline as root you would run
up2date httpd php mysql --nosig
and let the upgrade/depsolver tool do the installation of packages.
After you get the desired programs, comment the lines out in the config
file mentioned above, that refer to development and you should be back
to FC3 updates again.

It sounds like for your intentions, running yum commands to temporarily
enable te repos might be your best option.

Jim

--
Politics and the fate of mankind are formed by men without ideals and
without