Probleme with kernel version

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Feb 23 10:30:52 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 23.02.2005 schrieb BZ Benny um 11:09:

> I have to build an aplication to be running on a board
> with a 2.6.8 kernel version.(this application will be
> build as a module of the kernel)

Why is the application bound to that specific kernel release version?
Btw. a kernel module is not called an application, which is a userland
thing. Are you very sure the kernel module can't be build against a
current kernel? And if it is a correct source, it does not need the
complete kernel source. The FC3 kernel RPM ships all whats needed.

> The problem is that my PC run with 2.6.10 FC3  kernel
> version.

The 2.6.10 kernel is the current *security* update kernel.

> Is it really forbidden, or not possible?

Not forbidden, but strongly advised to avoid old and vulnerable kernels.
Or backport security fixes.

> I tried to search at
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/SRPMS/
> for 2.6.8 FC3 kernel but I didn"t find it, did it
> exist?

This is because FC3 was originally shipped with a 2.6.9 kernel.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 11:23:43 up 1 day, 22:32, load average: 0.22, 0.26, 0.12