Problem with "/etc/alternatives/java" and "pg74.215.jdbc3.jar".

Vinicius cviniciusm at terra.com.br
Wed Feb 23 11:04:23 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to connect to a postgresql database through the postgresql
jdbc driver, but appears the errors below:

"$ java TesteJDBC_PGSQL
libgcj-java-placeholder.sh

This script is a placeholder for the /usr/bin/java
master link required by jpackage.org conventions.  libgcj's
rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools are now slave symlinks to these
masters, and are managed by the alternatives(8) system.

This change was necessary because the rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools
installed by previous versions of libgcj conflicted with symlinks
installed by jpackage.org JVM packages.
Iniciando a conexao com o BD...
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: while
resolving class: org.postgresql.Driver
    at java.lang.VMClassLoader.resolveClass(java.lang.Class)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
    at java.lang.Class.initializeClass() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(java.lang.String, boolean,
java.lang.ClassLoader) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
    at TesteJDBC_PGSQL.Conecta() (Unknown Source)
    at TesteJDBC_PGSQL.main(java.lang.String[]) (Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.net.ssl.SSLSocket not
found in [file:/usr/share/java/pg74.215.jdbc3.jar, file:./, core:/]
"

"...
public static Connection Conecta()
   {

     String url= "jdbc:postgresql:mydb";
     Connection con;
     try
     {
         System.out.println("Iniciando a conexao com o BD...");

         Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
         con = DriverManager.getConnection (url,"","");

         System.out.println("Banco de Dados Ok e Pronto...");
         return con;
         }

         catch(ClassNotFoundException fnf)
         {
         System.out.println("Houve uma ClassNotFoundException: "+fnf);
         return null;
         }
         catch(SQLException sql)
         {
         System.out.println("Houve uma SQLException: "+sql);
         return null;
         }
   }
..."

My login has permission to create databases and users and I have created
a database called mydb. I can use the command 'psql' with this database.
I did set TCP/IP to true in /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf, too.

I'm using the followed configuration:
kernel-2.6.10-1.766_FC3
kernel-utils-2.4-13.1.49_FC3
postgresql-7.4.7-3.FC3.1
postgresql-jdbc-7.4.7-3.FC3.1
postgresql-libs-7.4.7-3.FC3.1
postgresql-server-7.4.7-3.FC3.1
gcc-java-3.4.2-6.fc3

Does this problem due the libgcj, please?
Should I remove the gcc-java and install other java, please?

TIA,
Vinicius.

P.S.: Does this mailing list the best place to put this type of problem?