Probleme with kernel version

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 23 12:35:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 11:09 +0100, BZ Benny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to build an aplication to be running on a board
> with a 2.6.8 kernel version.(this application will be
> build as a module of the kernel)
>
> Before,I have to build it under My PC and to test it.
>
> The problem is that my PC run with 2.6.10 FC3  kernel
> version.
>
> Is it really forbidden, or not possible?
>
> I tried to search at
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/SRPMS/
> for 2.6.8 FC3 kernel but I didn"t find it, did it
> exist?
>
> regards

I'll assume that you really want to build a kernel module, not a
userland application.  I'll also assume you have the source to the
target kernel installed on your development system.

In your Makefile for the module set you includes to point to the include
directory in your target kernel source (-I).  Below is a Makefile I used
a while back (2.4 kernel):

DRVSRC = arcom-0.41.c
DRVOBJ = arcom-0.41.o
CC = /opt/embedded/i486/i486-linux-gnu/bin/gcc

KERNELSRCDIR = /opt/embedded/kernel/linux-2.4.20-MZ

include $(KERNELSRCDIR)/.config

CFLAGS = -Wall -mcpu=i486 -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -I. -I$(KERNELSRCDIR)/include -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DLINUX -DDRIVER
#
# Uncomment the following to enable DEBUGging, PERFormance monitoring, or ADC SIMulation
#
#CFLAGS	+= -DSIM
#CFLAGS	+= -DDEBUG
#CFLAGS	+= -DIDEBUG
#CFLAGS	+= -DPERF

ifdef CONFIG_PROC_FS
CFLAGS	+= -DWITHPROC
endif

ifdef CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
CFLAGS += -DCONFIG_MODVERSIONS
endif

arcom:	arcom.h
	  $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $(DRVSRC) -o $(DRVOBJ)

I did my development on RH9 and testing on an embedded system.

Bob...