Network problem

Leonard Isham leonard.isham at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 12:46:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:58:45 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 02:11 +0100, Mats Erlandson wrote:
> > What is so strange, is that the computer can talk to all local addresses
> > except the switch (192.168.0.1) and two other computers on the local
> > network can talk to it, all obviously through the switch both ways.
> > This shows that the cabling is OK, and that the problem is probably in
> > the routing on the computer (not allowing it to connect directly to the
> > switch) or in the switch, not accepting communication from the
> > computer.  The switch routes properly for the other computers on the
> > network and can be managed from either one (tested) but not from the
> > problem child.  If I change the configuration on the computer to use
> > DHCP (and rebooting) the computer does not get (receive/accept) the DHCP
> > configuration and is thus 'dead', i.e. no communication to nor from any
> > computer.  Therefore, until the communication to/from the switch is OK I
> > am using a static address.  To eliminate hardware faults possible in the
> > ethernet port on the motherboard (eth0) I installed a network card,
> > tested to perform OK in another computer, and disabled the motherboard
> > port using the BIOS. With only an expansion ethernet card active in the
> > computer I made the same tests with the same results.  This seems to
> > eliminate network card problem in the computer.  My current setup is, as
> > per the first paragraph above, motherboard ethernet port only with
> > static address.  Still no joy.  I am at a loss.
>
> Desperate times call for desperate measures. Have you tried a different
> cable and a different switch port?

I would also move it to a working where you have a working computer.

Power down the working computer.

Connect the computer with the problem.

Power up the computer and test.

You could also do it the otherway around and move a working computer
(laptop maybe?) to the connection you are having problems with.

Can also try setting the switch port and ether net to full 100 and
avoid any autosensing problems.
--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.