Network problem - SOLVED

Mats Erlandson mats at tropeab.com
Wed Feb 23 13:23:43 UTC 2005

Gentlemen,

I feel like a proper fool.  Sure I had problems, but I should have
looked in the right place, i.e. the switch/router (DI-624).  Since it
also routes wireless and I am located in a city center, I, some time
ago, thought I should be clever and lock out anyone who was able to
catch the wireless signal.

Consequently, I implemented MAC filters, so that only those MAC
addresses which were explicitly listed would be able to access the
Internet.  I did not know that it also included reaching the router part
of the device, only the switch part would be accessible.  Now, to set
this on the DI-624 you have to go to the 'Advanced' tab and there select
'Filters'.  On the page which then appears, on the third line, it has
two check circles, the first labeled 'IP Filters' and the second one
'MAC Filters'.  The first one is checked by default.  Not until you move
the check to the second option do you see the MAC filters.

Needless to say, the MAC address of my problem computer did not appear
in the list of MAC addresses allowed.  I entered the proper detail and,
bingo, it all works!

I greatly appreciate all the help I got, especially from Rick Stevens
but also Jeff Vian!  Thanks a million.  The list works, bad language or
not - which by the way does not offend me, it rather shows some
qualities (good or bad?) of the people who use such words.  It may be
wise to remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Regards,
Mats