Samba Question -- Users cannot access home directories

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Wed Feb 23 13:33:15 UTC 2005

Good Morning Everyone:

I am running into a bit of a problem,

Yesterday, I set up my webserver with samba so that I can authenticate
against the active directory as per the instructions in
http://www.billboswellconsulting.com/files/Authenticating%20Linux%20desk
tops%20with%20AD.pdf

When I log in to the fedora box using my Domain admin username and
password, it works nicely,  the problem that I am hitting is that any
user trying to access the box from the network can hit the two shares
(which happen to contain the websites (for editing purposes) but cannot
access their home directories.

There are really two parts to my question

1. How do I get them to be able to access their home directories.  (this
will be applied today on another machine which is a file server)

2. Because this is a webserver, how do I make those home directories go
away as the users don't need them on this box, but will need them on the
file server that I am going to be working on)

So far my research hasn't turned up any clues to this, though
admittedly, I have about 1000 pages of reading left to go.

Thanks for all the excellent help I have already received.

Tim Holmes

IT Manager / Webmaster
Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...