RPM/Yum database question (was Re: gtk-sharp error during tomboy installation)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Feb 23 16:08:06 UTC 2005

David Curry wrote:
> RPM database issues come up in a variety of ways.  For some reason,
> Paul's response above prompted me to consider why it would not be
> possible or easier to edit the RPM database.  Perhaps that question came
> to mind today because I have been considering switching from Up2date
> upgrading to use of Yum and have the impression that Yum updates are
> also not recorded in the RPM database.

That's not true. Yum and up2date are both front-end dependency solvers
for RPM. Every package installed, removed or upgraded using yum or
update causes an appropriate update of the RPM database.

Instead of making manual edits to the RPM database (which are likely to
be error-prone), I prefer to roll my own RPMs for anything I build
locally and then install the RPM. Of course, this requires the knowledge
of how to build RPMs, which is quite a big thing to learn.

Paul.