Install without CD-ROM

Gunnar Kramm gkramm at speakeasy.net
Wed Feb 23 17:13:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:52:40AM -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Abhik Das wrote:
> >How can we install Fedora core 2 / 3 without burning iso images to CD?
>
> I guess you simply want to avoid downloading 2-3GB of ISO images?

[ snip ]

Actually there is a way you can install Fedora core without a boot CD or a
boot USB device.

First you will need a copy of the boot.iso.
then mount it
(as root)
mount -o loop boot.iso /mnt

Next make a new dir in you /boot directory
mkdir /boot/upgrade

Next copy the contents of /mnt/isolinux to the directory you just created.
cp /mnt/isolinux /boot/upgrade

Finally modify your grub.conf to have to be able to boot from /boot/upgrade/
make it look something like this
title Fedora Core (Upgrade)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /upgrade/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
        initrd /upgrade/initrd.img

Now reboot
>From the Grub Menu choose
Fedora Core (Upgrade)

Now you can follow the rest of the instructions in this thread.