Install without CD-ROM

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Feb 23 19:10:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 09:13 -0800, Gunnar Kramm wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:52:40AM -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> > Abhik Das wrote:
> > >How can we install Fedora core 2 / 3 without burning iso images to CD?
> >
> > I guess you simply want to avoid downloading 2-3GB of ISO images?
> >

> [ snip ]
>
> Actually there is a way you can install Fedora core without a boot CD or a
> boot USB device.
>
> First you will need a copy of the boot.iso.
> then mount it
> (as root)
> mount -o loop boot.iso /mnt

(snip)

This is indeed a useful method but it only works if you can boot into a
Linux environment in the first place (e.g. using an existing
installation); it doesn't help a first-time installer (but then neither
did my earlier suggestion of doing an NFS install).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>