Unable to log in user - This gets serious

Truls Gulbrandsen trulsg at broadpark.no
Wed Feb 23 20:39:13 UTC 2005

Tony Dietrich wrote:
| On Tuesday 22 Feb 2005 20:58, Truls Gulbrandsen wrote:
|
|>Alexander Dalloz wrote:

|>|
|>| Any chance you changed the permissions or ownership of /tmp by accident?
|>|
|>| $ ls -ld /tmp
|>| drwxrwxrwt  31 root root 1688 22. Feb 20:29 /tmp
|>|
|>| This is "chmod 1777" and a must.
|>| Check too the permissions and ownership of your user's /home/<user>
|>| directory.
|>|
|>| Alexander
|>
|>I have only done a "yum update".  The permissions of /tmp is equal to
|>the above.
|>
|>Truls
|

| Try removing any sub-directory of /tmp that includes a user's name.
|
| Authorisation files are written to files in directories such as
| mcop-<loginname>, and in some cases updates corrupt the setup of these
| directories, by either changing the userID of the authorisation
process, or
| the method of writing the authorisation file.
|
| If that doesn't work, try checking the home directories of each user
for files
| under the .kde|.gnome|.whatever_window_manager_you_are_using directory
for
| authorisation files.  The rationale for this is the same as above, as
some
| authorisation files are stored in the user's directories in some
cases.  This
| route may have additional consequences though so YMMV, and the risk is
yours.

Hi again,
now I get worried.  I am still not able to log in with the established
user ids.  Also, I am unable to create and use new user ids - well i can
create but get the same errormessage.  The only one working is root.
Is this a weakness with this distribution or with Linux?  Am I at risk
(of course I am) that this will happen to pcs with FC3?  Now I don't
risk doing an upgrade and reboot of this "live" machine.

Regards,
Truls