Missing cdrom

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 22:23:20 UTC 2005

Gene Poole wrote:
> This box was running very well on Red Hat Linux 9 when I did an upgrade to
> Fedora Core 3.  The upgrade went perfectly until I started using the box
> for productive work and discovered that the cdrom is missing from
> /mnt/cdrom (where it was originally) and there is no reference to it in the
> /dev directory. I'm not screaming yet because I found it in the side pane
> of the root Nautilus GUI file manager window under KDE.

I don't follow that last sentence. Found *what*, exactly?

> I cannot find an example of the MAKEDEV command so I can get /mnt/cdrom
> back linked off of /dev/hdd.  Does anyone know how to get the 'real' cdrom
> back?

Firstly, was this an "upgrade in place" upgrade or an "install over and
restore data as necessary" upgrade? If you wiped the root partition,
you'll find that /media/cdrom has taken the place of /mnt/cdrom.

Otherwise, it sounds like an udev problem. On FC3, udev should be
automatically creating /dev/hdd and the /dev/cdrom symlink to /dev/hdd.

I take it that it's a normal ATAPI CD drive jumpered as slave and
sitting off your secondary IDE channel.

Can you do a
ls -l /dev | grep hdd

Does anything show up? If not, then can you take a look at
/var/log/dmesg : around halfway through that file there will be a whole
lot of data about your IDE connection, probably starting with a line
looking like this:
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2

Does that mention your CD drive?

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | TCP/IP evolved primarily by actually being _used_,
Exeter    Devon    UK | rather than being handed down from on high by a vendor