Fedora- redhat Linux

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Feb 23 23:00:32 UTC 2005

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, m g wrote:
>
>> This depends on how much you know about programming; obviously, if
>> you're new to C++ or java, you won't be writing the next killer app
>> right off the bat.
>>
>> Finding tutorials is a bit beyond the scope of this list (google "C++
>> tutorial" or "java tutorial"), but as far as development environs ...
>>
>> Java has a development environment (IDE) called "Eclipse" that, IIRC,
>> is in Fedora Core.  Try "yum list eclipse" to see if you have it, and
>> "yum -y install eclipse" if you don't.  If you prefer to use the
>> command line, learn to use vi, emacs, or nano (text editors) to write
>> your code.  Use javac to compile, just as on Windows and Mac OS.
>>
>> C++ also has IDEs, but I'm not familiar with them.  Again, use vi,
>> emacs, or nano to write your code on the command line, and use gcc to
>> compile (you may need to install it, depending on what options you
>> chose when installing Fedora.
>>
>> Happy hacking!
>

> See also the JPackage repository (jpackage.org) for Eclipse RPMs and
> many other Java-related tools and systems.
>
> There is a C/C++ plugin for Eclipse (called CDT).  It seems pretty
> featureful (maybe not as mature as the Java one), though I'm just trying
> to learn it now.

I use source-navigator for C/C++, etc. (it handles other stuff, too).
You have to build it from source, but it's pretty nifty.  If you want to
use a GUI debugger with it, you also need to build and install insight,
too (based on gdb).

	SourceNavigator:	http://sourcenav.sourceforge.net
	Insight:		http://sourceware.cygnus.com/insight

Works for me!
-  Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -