Question about what filetypes are allowed to be printed.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Feb 24 03:17:51 UTC 2005

On Thursday, Feb 24th 2005 at 01:40 +0100, quoth Giulio Sorrentino:

=>Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>
=>> Can someone please tell me where the list of filetypes are which the CUPS
=>> system knows how to print?
=>>
=>> TIA
=>>
=>This is a really unusual question.
=>Cups is only a server: it converses with others applications for printing
=>files.
=>It means that cups server opens no files: is the application to open it and
=>send data to cups.
=>
=>What do you want to do?

I want to know what types of file I can print without having to convert
them to postscript. Can I say

lpr foo.dvi
    foo.jpg
    foo.gif