Creating dual-boot machine

Andrew Robinson awrobinson at cox.net
Thu Feb 24 03:51:20 UTC 2005

Zolton, I'm going to suggest a mixed approach. Prep the system with
Linux. Then install Windows. Then install Linux. Here's how I would do it.

1. Insert the Fedora CD 1 into the disk drive.
2. Boot into rescue mode.
3. Once you have a prompt in rescue mode, use fdisk to partition the
disk. I would suggest 4 partitions.
   Partition 1: size for Windows. Set type to NTFS (7?)
   Partition 2: /boot - size 100 MB. Set type to Linux (83)
   Partition 3: swap - size 2 x RAM. Set type to Linux swap (82)
   Partition 4: / - rest of disk. Set type to Linux (83)
By using only four partitions, you do not have to make extended partitions.
4. Reboot. Remove the Linux CD and insert the Windows XP CD. Install
Windows XP onto the NTFS partition.
5. After installing Windows, reinsert the Fedora CD. Install Linux. When
the installer asks about partitioning, put /boot on the 100 MB
partition, swap onto the swap partition and / (root) onto the fourth and
  largest partition. Be sure not to reformat the NTFS (first) paritition.

Using this approach, the Fedora installation should detect the Windows
installation and create an entry in the grub.conf file for it.

I realize this process sounds like a bit of work, but it's actually
pretty fun!

Hope this helps.

Andrew Robinson