Samba Question -- Users cannot accesshome directories-- FOLLOWUP

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Thu Feb 24 12:10:11 UTC 2005

> > > [Tim Holmes wrote]
> > >
> > > Paul:
> > >
> > > Here is the output of the command
> > >
> > > smbstatus
> > > WARNING: The "only user" option is deprecated
> > >
> > > Samba version 3.0.10-1.fc2
> > > PID     Username      Group         Machine

> > >  7964   MCASCHOOL\tholmes  MCASCHOOL\Domain Users  192.168.0.133
> > > (192.168.0.133)
> > >
> > > Service      pid     machine       Connected at
> > > tholmes       7964   192.168.0.133  Thu Feb 24 06:42:05 2005
> > >
> > > No locked files
> > >

> > > That was run from the root prompt via a vnc connection to my samba
> box
> > > -- If you need me to do it a different way, please let me know
> >
> > The samba server has authenticated you as user "MCASCHOOL\tholmes".
> This
> > is different from the username "tholmes", so by default it will not
be
> > able to write to the home directory of user "tholmes".
> >
> > One way to work around this is to use a username map
> > (/etc/samba/smbusers) containing lines like this:
> >
> > tholmes = MCASCHOOL\tholmes
> >
> > This would handle the authentication for MCASCHOOL\tholmes but then
> use
> > the account tholmes instead of creating a new one for
> MCASCHOOL\tholmes.
> >
> > You'd need to do that for all users that have a home directory on
your
> > server that you want them to be able to access. There's almost
> certainly
> > a much better way of doing it (e.g. by auto-creating home
directories
> > for users such as MCASCHOOL\tholmes when they connect), but I don't
> know
> > what it is.
> >
> > Paul.
>
> [Tim Holmes wrote]
> Paul -- Thank you so much for your help -- Im going to try this now,
but
> I wanted to say thanks -- I would have sent to you directly, but your
> address appears to be hidden as a function of the list -- if this
would
> be better/easier taken off list, please feel free to contact me via
the
> following:
>
> E-mail -- tholmes at mcaschool.net
> AOL IM -- w8tahham
> YAHOO IM - w8tah
>
> Thanks -- I'll let you know what happens
>
> TIM

[Tim Holmes wrote]
Paul -- It looks tentatively like success, the user map contained an
entry for MCASCHOOL\tholmes = tholmes

So I added the opposite one

tholmes = MCASCHOOL\tholmes

and that appears to have resolved the trouble

The next step is to create each of my student users in linux, and then
map them to their home directories, -- I think

I agree there must be an easier way, but I don't know it either -- maybe
someone else on the list can comment on that

Thank you so much for your help  - The same to all on the list

TIM