(no subject)

Gene Poole b06gtp at FDS.com
Thu Feb 24 16:08:51 UTC 2005

Please note,  my responses are below in blue and red.

James Wilkinson wrote:

>> I don't follow that last sentence. Found *what*, exactly?

Menu item under devices called CD-ROM

>> Firstly, was this an "upgrade in place" upgrade or an "install over and
>> restore data as necessary" upgrade? If you wiped the root partition,
>> you'll find that /media/cdrom has taken the place of /mnt/cdrom.

"upgrade in place"

brw-rw----  1  root  disk   22,   64  Feb 22 01:31   hdd

>> Does anything show up? If not, then can you take a look at
>> /var/log/dmesg : around halfway through that file there will be a whole
>> lot of data about your IDE connection, probably starting with a line
>> looking like this:
>> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2

>> Does that mention your CD drive?

Below are the messages extracted from dmesg:

Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: SAMSUNG SP0802N, ATA DISK drive
hdb: IOMEGA ZIP 250 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
hdb: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x04
ide0: Drive 1 didn't accept speed setting. Oh, well.
Using cfq io scheduler
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: Maxtor 91531U3, ATA DISK drive
hdd: CD-ROM 48X/TKU, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

And then further down:

hdd: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

>> James.

Thanks,
Gene Poole