Samba Question -- Users cannot accesshome directories-- FOLLOWUP

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 24 16:09:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 07:10 -0500, Tim Holmes wrote:

> > box
> > >
> > > The samba server has authenticated you as user "MCASCHOOL\tholmes".
> > This
> > > is different from the username "tholmes", so by default it will not
> be
> > > able to write to the home directory of user "tholmes".
> > >
> > > One way to work around this is to use a username map
> > > (/etc/samba/smbusers) containing lines like this:
> > >
> > > tholmes = MCASCHOOL\tholmes
> > >
> > > This would handle the authentication for MCASCHOOL\tholmes but then
> > use
> > > the account tholmes instead of creating a new one for
> > MCASCHOOL\tholmes.
> > >
> > > You'd need to do that for all users that have a home directory on
> your
> > > server that you want them to be able to access. There's almost
> > certainly
> > > a much better way of doing it (e.g. by auto-creating home
> directories
> > > for users such as MCASCHOOL\tholmes when they connect), but I don't
> > know
> > > what it is.
> > >
> > > Paul.
> >
> > [Tim Holmes wrote]
> > Paul -- Thank you so much for your help -- Im going to try this now,
> but
> > I wanted to say thanks -- I would have sent to you directly, but your
> > address appears to be hidden as a function of the list -- if this
> would
> > be better/easier taken off list, please feel free to contact me via
> the
> > following:
> >
> > E-mail -- tholmes at mcaschool.net
> > AOL IM -- w8tahham
> > YAHOO IM - w8tah
> >
> > Thanks -- I'll let you know what happens
> >
> > TIM
> >
> [Tim Holmes wrote]
> Paul -- It looks tentatively like success, the user map contained an
> entry for MCASCHOOL\tholmes = tholmes
>
> So I added the opposite one
>
> tholmes = MCASCHOOL\tholmes
>
> and that appears to have resolved the trouble
>
> The next step is to create each of my student users in linux, and then
> map them to their home directories, -- I think
>
> I agree there must be an easier way, but I don't know it either -- maybe
> someone else on the list can comment on that
>
> Thank you so much for your help  - The same to all on the list
----
there are easier ways - In a way, I'm not sure that this list has been
all that helpful to you.

There has been a great expenditure of effort in documenting Samba.

2 primary packages of information, Samba 3 HOWTO and Samba 3 by Example

Both can be viewed from samba.org web site or purchased in dead tree
mode from your local bookstore or favorite book seller.

<http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/>

<http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/>

probably best to get the background information down (i.e. get to a
notion of the bigger pictured) to the point where you don't have to ask
for remedial help for each thing as that would greatly slow the process
of making it work for you.

Craig