Universal Boot disc and Network install

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu Feb 24 16:10:01 UTC 2005

Hello,
I like to use NFS install, as it minimize the need of burning CDs to install
distro.
However, as far as I know, you still need to burn the disc 1 iso of the
distro, to boot the system from, then specify the NFS install. So if I want
to install FC 1, FC 2, FC 3, FC 4 (beta), RHEL 3, RHEL 4, I still need to
burn 6 disc 1 iso, right ?.

So my question is, is there a way to make like a "universal boot disc" for all
the Fedora (and Red hat) versions, so that then I can specify the NFS path
(and probably distro code name for sanity check), and then the installer
(anaconda? ) understand what distro I want to install based on the specified
NFS path (just look at what distro is available in that mounted fs) and/or
the specified distro name ?

If there is no way to do this right now, would you all think that would be a
good idea to make something like that ?
Of course this could/should be generalized to FTP and HTTP install also.

Thanks.
RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja