Universal Boot disc and Network install

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Feb 24 16:16:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:10:01AM -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> the Fedora (and Red hat) versions, so that then I can specify the NFS path
> (and probably distro code name for sanity check), and then the installer
> (anaconda? ) understand what distro I want to install based on the specified
> NFS path (just look at what distro is available in that mounted fs) and/or
> the specified distro name ?

No, because the boot disk by definition includes the kernel, which differs
from release to release.

Currently, this makes it completely impossible, because some of the kernel
modules are in the second-stage of the installation (in the install tree
itself, not the boot image), so the kernels _must_ match.

If this were theoretically separated, it would still be a problem for
releases which use very different kernels (2.4 vs 2.6, say) because of
features the installer uses, like LVM.