Fedora3 Kde/Mozilla/Oppenoffice lockups/slowdowns

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Thu Feb 24 16:18:25 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have had a problem since Fedora2 and is still there in Fedora3.

Every so often the GUI will lockup/slowdown for a period (3 - 30secs). The
systems seem to run Ok for a period and then seem to enter this state of
locking up/slowing down frequently ...
In the Mozilla mail window I am currently using selecting a word of
text is sometimes instant but sometimes takes up to 4 secs ...

The main system that I use is a twin processor Xeon system with
1G of memory and SCSI disks. The memory has low usage and there is no
noticeable CPU/disk activity when the lockup happens.
Some things that cause this are:

1. Selecting a different virtual desktop by clicking on the kicker
	panel's desktop switcher.
2. Switching desktops using hotkeys that I have set up.
3. Selecting text in Mozilla or Open Office (other apps may do this
	as well)

One strange thing is if the GUI locks up on using the mouse to select
another desktop, I can still use the desktop hotkeys to move between
virtual desktops. After doing this, some time later, the system will jump
to the desktop previously selected with the mouse.

This occurs on all of the Fedora 3 systems I have (about 4). Other
users here experience the same problem.
All of the Fedora3 systems are up to date.

Some special configurations we use:
1. I/we use the KDE desktop, with the focus policy set to "Focus under mouse".
2. We use the ntpd for time sync
3. We have the "system monitor" applet running in the KDE kicker panel.

Is anyone else experiencing this ?
Any ideas on what may be causing it, is it the KDE kicker panel ?

Cheers

Terry