Trying to add additional pkgs and getting an interdependency error?

Matt Considine matt at considine.net
Thu Feb 24 17:10:20 UTC 2005

Having originally installed FC3/Gnome from the CDs and selected the
"Desktop" configuration, I would now like to add some of the apps from
the "Workstation" configuration (specifically, the s/w development tools).

As root, I go to Applications | System Settings | Add/Remove
Applications, let it do it's thing, and then select the relevant package
choices.  (I'm not drilling down and trying to second-guess it's default
selections.)

Now, when it is going through it's dependency checks, it tells me there
are a number of things that need to be installed first.  But when I do
an "rpm -q <packagename>" I get a message that it's installed.

Can anyone tell me a) what I'm doing wrong or b) assuming the answer is
"nothing" tell me how to 1) get around the issue, 2) force it to install
whatever it needs first, and/or 3) suggest a better way of getting the
packages installed?

Thanks in advance for the patience.  And, yes, I did try searching the
archives first ...

Matt