Wireless PCMCIA Cards

Craig Thomas cjtinhp at optonline.net
Thu Feb 24 18:01:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 10:57 -0600, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> Terry Polzin wrote:
>
> >The original Orinoco cards work out of the box.
> >

> I just bought a new orinoco gold board and it doesn't work out of the box.
> Proxim 8482-FC Orinoco 11a/b/g = Atheros AR5212 802.11abg

FYI

More than a vendor, what really matters is the chip set used in the
wireless card.  And different models from the same vendor _may_ and
_often_ use different chip sets for different manufacturing runs of the
same model card.  The specific model/version number should help you
determine the chip set manufacturer.

Finding out the chip set manufacturer is the easy way to know if the
card will work or not.  Drivers work with specific chip sets.

It has been awhile [my wireless card is an older linksys wpc11 prism
based--newer ones don't work I'm told], but a quick google turns up some
useful looking results:

http://www.wlug.org.nz/WirelessChipsets

HTH,

--