fedora-list Digest, Vol 12, Issue 376

Rajev Mhasawade rcmpost at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 18:39:48 UTC 2005

> >>Cups is the print manager: is the server that make you print files.
> >>The simplest way to upgrade only some packages with yum is set only the
> >>packages you want upgrade.
> >>For doing this I suggest you a GUI for yum, such as yumex
> >>(http://linux.rasmil.dk/mambo).
> >>I belive you have FC3.
> >>

> >Everyone kept saying how good this application was so finally I tried
> >this thing and it is really better than gyum or yum extender or
> >anything else I have ever used for Fedora/RH.
> >
> >SMART.
> >
> >http://www.smartpm.org
> >
> >Dag has rpms for them here:
> >
> >http://dag.wieers.com/packages/smart/
> >
> >Grab the smart, smart-gui and smart-update packages.
> >
> >Launch choose all the repos for rpm packages you want and click the
> >green arrows to update the list of packages.
> >
> >Oh it is sweet and fast and makes my linux-loving gnome desktop
> >hugging heart glad.
> >
> >The gui could use a tad bit of love imho for the noobs in use all but
> >otherwise it is great!!
> >

>  From test i've done smart cannot connects to yum servers.
> This is not good because fedora's install manager is yum (i apologize to
> purists for this sentence).
> So I suggest yum's guis...
>
> --
> numerone

I think i will try both.The only thing i expect is i shud select what
to update and what not to.And Fedora runs well after the update (i am
horrified of post-update stories of Fedora)
Unfortunately i could do very less R&D on Fedora coz it doesnt have
System restore,nore 'Add remove programmes(those which i havent
installed from FC3 cd)' and a XP-like repair wizard!
Rajev
--
© 2005 Rajev Mhasawade