dual boot problems after install

Craig Thomas cjtinhp at optonline.net
Thu Feb 24 18:50:42 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've installed FC3 on /dev/hdb and had a working windoze w2k install
on /dev/hda, but have trouble booting. I thought I had installed GRUB to
the MBR on /dev/hda as on other dual boots I've done, but clearly I am
not understanding exactly what has happened. To compound my troubles, I
seem to have made matters worse :(

After rebooting the first time I got

GRUB HARD DISK ERROR

after the BIOS loaded.

After googling and tinkering and googling some more, I tried the fix
here for FC2 [read it worked for some with my problem with FC3].

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html

Now, I get another error after the BIOS loads:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Clearly, I've not fixed things :)

Now sfdisk -d  reports it doesn't care for /dev/hda at all...

#sfdisk -d /dev/hda

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
/dev/hda: unrecognized partition
No partitions found

Before I do anything else foolish, can anyone enlighten me as to what
I've done wrong?  and maybe a pointer or two in the right directions.
Have I fubared the partition table for /dev/hda?

Any help greatly appreciated,

--
Craig Thomas <cjtinhp at optonline.net>