GFS and Fedora

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Thu Feb 24 19:28:05 UTC 2005

> On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 07:41 -0800, Chris wrote:
>
>>> I haven't tried Open Office before... Will it be compatible with, say, Office 2003? I
>>> don't mean that that is so good, but when you do business, many people may send you a
>>

>Yes, for the most part.

I use it a lot.  Here are the areas I have trouble with:

PDF format documents:  Many recipients find they do not have the
flexibility with my documents that they have with "genuine" PDFs when it
comes to printing n-up pages.    In addition, OO doesn't provide
"tagged" PDFs that I need to port a document to my PDA.

OO Impress:  Impress documents don't hold their format from version to
version.  After a version upgrade of OO, I find I have to adjust
typefaces, sizes and other layout items in order to make slides display
in a readable way (this is a big problem for me).  Handling of
PowerPoint animations is also sometimes troublesome, but I don't have
enough examples and time to sort this out specifically.  Opening
exported presentations from OO seems to work OK.

OO Writer:  Not all the features of Word XP work.  This is only an issue
when I read complicated documents using footnotes, annotations, change
bars, etc.  Not a big problem, unless you need these features.

Operation:  OO occasionally freezes or crashes for me, usually in
Impress, and usually in front of a crowd.  Sometimes, it will hog the
system in full-screen mode so I can't rotate among windows.  I can
usually work around these issues, although its embarrassing when it happens.

Nothing really terrible here, but I recommend that you test it under
your conditions and your requirements.  If it works for you, it works
great.   Erik