first time Fedora for me, any tips?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 24 21:39:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 15:18 -0600, STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:

> > For email, I recommend Postfix. Many people find it much simpler to
> > configure than Sendmail. Some suggest that the modular
> > approach makes it
> > faster and less resource consuming as well.
> >
> If you are using this for a home machine and your ISP provides your
> email account, you can turn sendmail off.  The email client with
> Mozilla or the one with Firefox (is it Thunderbird?) can talk to
> your isp's POP server just like outlook express did on windows.
> You can avoid the headaches of mail administration alltogether.
----
not entirely sure how one thing affects the other

sendmail is an MTA - it is a transport agent

POP3 is a client protocol - has nothing to do with MTA

sendmail/postfix running on local system means that local mail - i.e.
local error & logs are sent to root or whomever is aliased to root as
either a local user or to another server

a more intelligent method - I believe that you refer to it as 'headaches
of mail administration' would be to use fetchmail to retrieve your email
and provide local delivery that you could use from local computers set
up as an IMAP account - this having distinct advantages of running your
own procmail scripts to sort/screen email - use spamassassin &/or
various anti-virus implementations such as clamav to block/filter email.
You could see the same email from different mail client programs,
different computers, etc. but this would require something like dovecot
to be installed & configured (dovecot is an IMAP & POP3 server). SOME
mail clients allow you to use a 'local' mail store, thereby removing the
need to set up IMAP/POP3 service but this tends to be a 1 application, 1
machine solution.

Of course, as you suggest, you can configure most any email client to
use a POP server and an SMTP server and not deal with the 'headaches' as
you put it. I don't see how in this situation, any advantage is gained
by shutting sendmail off - or by installing/using postfix.

Craig