compiling MS Windows programs on Linux [was Re: Text files]

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Feb 25 01:34:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 05:14:43PM -0600, H. Streit wrote:
> Okay, one of our programmers wants to start porting over a unix app he
> wrote to *shudder* windows.  In order to do this, he's mounted his
> home directory to his windows box via samba, now he's trying to copy
> over the sourcecode, but he's having that infamous "UNIX-to-DOS text
> file format" issue (a.k.a LF vs CRLF).  He's trying to write a batch
[...]
> any suggestions?

Other people have the file-format conversion issue covered, so here's an
alternate suggestion: why not use MinGW and cross-compile? This is what I do
for a program that I wrote which I want to make available to people running
MS Windows, and it works wonderfully -- with minimal hassle for me.

My program uses the already-cross-platform SDL library as a basis, which
isn't necessarily the best thing for all programs -- another suggestion
would be to use wxWidgets -- <http://www.wxwidgets.org/>.

I even use Wine to run NSIS <http://nsis.sourceforge.net/> to generate a
nice, Windows-standard GUI installer -- all from my Makefile on Linux.

(You can download my project from <http://www.mattdm.org/icebreaker/>, by
the way -- check out the Makefile to see how the cross-compiling works.)