first time Fedora for me, any tips?

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Fri Feb 25 04:20:27 UTC 2005

> I would agree that it doesn't seem to serve a purpose for user in that
> instance but perhaps op turns it off at your suggestion and
> experiments
> with stuff later down the road and forgets that somebody told them to
> shut off sendmail service. It would make more sense to me to put an
> alias for root: myemailaddress at mymailprovider.tld and at
> least, op would
> likely get root emails and it's less trouble explaining how to do it.
>
> You might shut off sendmail on your machines - it is your perogative.
> When you suggest that to a newbie - you are effectively
> saying that you
> know better than Red Hat - I'm not convinced that you do.

My concern with sendmail is that an incorrectly configured sendmail
can be worse than no sendmail at all.  A new Linux user is deciding if
he likes Linux better than windows, I do not believe configuring
sendmail will enhance his enjoyment of Linux.  You do need sendmail
running to receive mail from root cron jobs an to send mail with the
mail(1) command.  So there is use in leaving sendmail on.

"