up2date stopped working

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Feb 25 04:23:08 UTC 2005

A Ve wrote:
> Hello,
>
> from on day to another, up2date stopped working:
>
> up2date -u
> =>
> There was some sort of I/O error: [Errno ftp error] 550 Failed to change
> directory.
>
> Missing deps/packages ? How can I debug this ?
>
> Regards, AVE

The symptoms that you are getting sound like what I got before when I
was not down far enough into the  directory tree to get updates that
were noarch. It worked fine except for noarch rpms. Anyway, just because
the directory contains  headers directory, it might not be the right
header directory for proper operation of the system.
If you are running i386, make sure that your entry for the mirror you
use contains the final directory for your archetecture.

Also, make sure that you have the base repo as well as the updates repo
listed in yum. You might be installing packages that now need an rpm
that was not revised since FC was out.

Jim