X problems on Dell Latitude w/i915 graphics (and Fn-key questions)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Feb 25 04:37:20 UTC 2005

Toralf Lund wrote:
> We're having problems with the X server when running Fedora or Red Hat
> Linux (i.e. we've tried both FC3 & older stuff) on a Dell Latitude 610
> notebook with an Intel 915 graphics chip. Firstly, no driver but "vesa"
> appears to work at all, but we don't mind that too much. However, we
> can't get a correct display with that either. Symptoms:
>
>    * A black screen is displayed by default.
>    * When using an external monitor instead of the built-in LCD screen,
>      everything works fine.
>    * If starting up with external display, then switching to the
>      build-in one via and Fn-key combination (Fn+F8 in this case), the
>      built-in one also works.
>    * The same is true after starting with the internal one (and getting
>      a black screen), then switching to external and back to internal.
>    * In the above two cases, display is once again lost if we switch to
>      a different VT via Ctrl+Alt+F-keys, then back to the X server.
>
> Any ideas how to get around this? I mean, how to get the internal
> display to work directly?
>
> Related question: What exactly happens when the Fn-combination is
> pressed? I mean, I've sort of seen this operation as akin to pulling out
> the cable to the monitor, then inserting another one, but to get the
> behaviour described above, there must also be some kind of software
> signalling involved, mustn't there?
>
> - Toralf

Have you tried to use the i810 driver for the Intel 915 cards?
info i810 shows the below supported cards. Vesa for me does not work for
an 815 card I have.

SUPPORTED HARDWARE
        i810 supports the i810, i810-DC100, i810e, i815,  830M,  845G,
852GM, 855GM, 865G and 915G chipsets.

I also use a computer with an 865G and it works well with this driver.
Maybe you have to adjust some BIOS settings related to video memory or
upgrade a buggy BIOS. I had a buggy BIOS and also had to adjust settings
to correct the problem with that card.

Good luck,

Jim