GUI login?

Michael Fleming mfleming at enlartenment.com
Fri Feb 25 05:17:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 07:57:48PM -0800, Mark L waffled thusly:
> Okay, maybe I'm just an idiot.....  I installed Fedora
> Core on my laptop
> (dual booting w/WinXP), everything seemed to go well
> but I can't seem to
> figure out how to get a GUI login.  I've searched and
> read and tried
> just about everything I can find, but still all I get
> is the text.  Yes,
> I'm a newbie but I know this shouldn't be this hard!

Edit the /etc/inittab file as follows, changing the line

id:3:initdefault:

id:5:initdefault:

There will be a block of comments just above this entry defining the
various runlevels and what they do.

To change without rebooting, issue the following command

telinit 5

All the above should be done as root.

Michael.

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming at enlartenment.com>
"Bother" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"