No sound for CDs

ShashankBhide bhides at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 15:57:24 UTC 2005

Kevin wrote:
> I haven't been able to get CD audio dispite lots of trying. I have a
> soundblaster 5.1 card using ALSA in FC3. My system is update as of 1
> week ago.
>
> What setting controls audio volume in alsa?
>
> What application should I be using just to play CDs? How do I set-up
> audio output in that application?

Kevin,
   I had exactly the same problem on my laptop, my audio CDs would not
have any sound.
  I did this Applications-->Preferences-->More Preferences--> Multimedia
Systems selector.

I had the Default sink to ALSA and I changed it to ESD for gnome (Artsd,
if u have kde).

  Then I hit test, I could hear a tone. I also changed the Default
source to ESD.

I was able to get audio cd sound fron kaffeine.

The reason has something to do with analog vs digital cable between the
cdrom and the motherboard.

HTH,
Shashank