DVD burning - mkisofs max size allowed

John Wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 25 16:59:24 UTC 2005

A. Lanza wrote:
> El jue, 24-02-2005 a las 08:06 -0600, Jeff Vian escribió:
>
>>On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 14:12 +0100, A. Lanza wrote:
>>
>>>Hi list,
>>>
>>>i'm trying to burn a DVD using k3b, as i usually do for CD burning. I'm
>>>using 4,7GB size DVD-R. The problem is that i cannot burn a 4,4GB. file.
>>>The file is exactly 4,613,704,668 bytes long.
>>>
>>>The message i get from k3b is the following:
>>>	/usr/bin/mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type
>>>and then
>>>	File <file> is too large - ignoring
>>>
>>>It seems like the problem is the file size, but that file should fit in
>>>a DVD, shouldn't it? Is there any limit in the size of files written to
>>>DVD?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Alf
>>>

>>I create a data DVD by using { file ->  new project -> new data DVD
>>project } then creating the file list to be included with drag-n-drop.
>>
> Yes, i'm doing just that way. In fact, when i drag and drop the files,
> the bar indicating space occupied on the DVD remains in the green zone,
> doesn't reach the DVD limit.

Remember that when you burn a file to a DVD, growisofs has to convert
the file to an ISO filesystem image and then burn this to the DVD. This
process is adding to the number of bytes making the image too large for
the disk. Perhaps K3B's size calculation needs some adjustment to
account for this size expansion ???

John