"Install exited abnormally"

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 17:18:46 UTC 2005

tajordan wrote:
> First, I'll apologize for probably not having every bit of relevant
> information. I'm at work and my (attempted) linux box is at home. I've
> got: Asus P4T mobo, Intel 1.7G P4, 1GB RDRAM, Seagate 120GB Baracuda
> (brand new), nVidia graphics card, Sony CD-R, aUSB card, and a
> firewire card.
>
> The install appears to go smoothly until I am installing the packages.
> I get the error "Install exited abnormally", everything unmounts, and
> I am told to reboot. I have tried 5 different distros and the same
> thing happens.

Ouch. *Five* different distributions? And the CDs all check out?

That sounds *very* much like a hardware problem. And I strongly suspect
the memory.

There's a copy of memtest86 on the Fedora CD: boot from it and type
memtest86 at the very first prompt. Leave that running overnight.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | I must refute the rumour that one of our team members
Exeter    Devon    UK | walks on water. Although it's true that Barry Cryer