"mount" as a user

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Feb 25 19:35:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 12:30, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:57:18AM -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> > but now that I'm running linux, I was thinking NFS is probably the
> > better way to go. Right? Wrong? Of course I can't run mount unless I'm
>
> Probably. NFS isn't perfect, but at least it has native Unix semantics.
>

> > root and then I don't have rights as my login to the data anyway. Is
> > there any way I can seamless mount these drives and still have rights to
> > them with my login?
>
> I suggest using autofs to mount them automatically on demand.
>
> <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Automount.html>
>

> --
> Matthew Miller           mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
> Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>

I was able to get it working but I don't have rw on the files in the
mounts. How to I get that working?

My /etc/auto.master is:
#
# $Id: auto.master,v 1.3 2003/09/29 08:22:35 raven Exp $
#
# Sample auto.master file
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# For details of the format look at autofs(5).
/auto   /etc/auto.misc --timeout=60

My /etc/auto.misc is:
#
# $Id: auto.misc,v 1.2 2003/09/29 08:22:35 raven Exp $
#
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage

cd              -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom

# the following entries are samples to pique your imagination
#linux          -ro,soft,intr           ftp.example.org:/pub/linux
#boot           -fstype=ext2            :/dev/hda1
#floppy         -fstype=auto            :/dev/fd0
#floppy         -fstype=ext2            :/dev/fd0
#e2floppy       -fstype=ext2            :/dev/fd0
#jaz            -fstype=ext2            :/dev/sdc1
#removable      -fstype=ext2            :/dev/hdd
tweety   -fstype=smbfs,rw,username=me,password=pass
://192.168.1.20/tweetyroot

Other than that this would work for me. I tried giving my uid ownership
of /auto, but when the mount gets mounted root is own and group owner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
James