How to stop crond logging to syslog?

Edwin Dicker fedora at dicker.nl
Fri Feb 25 19:51:27 UTC 2005

> so I presume either pam_unix is writing directly to syslog or
> the proper facility name for catching these messages needs to
> be discovered.
>

> --
> [] A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong.
> [] -- (Anonymous)
> --
> *  Copyright 2005 Jess Anderson
> *  www.jessanderson.org  *  anderson at wisc.edu
> *  Window Maker Themes: www.jessanderson.org/wmthemes

Could it be that in the file /etc/pam.d/crond the line wiich starts with
session should be terminated with the 'quiet' statement ?
Like this :
#
auth       sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_rootok.so
auth       required  /lib/security/$ISA/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required  pam_env.so
account    required  /lib/security/$ISA/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required  /lib/security/$ISA/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
quiet
# Sets up user limits, please uncomment and read /etc/security/limits.conf
# to enable this functionality.
# session    required   pam_limits.so

I havent tried this yet, but my messages file gets filled with these
messages too. This kind of logging fron cron/pam is abnormally if you ask
me.

Edwin