How to stop crond logging to syslog?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Feb 25 21:28:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 01:43:13PM -0600, Jess Anderson wrote:
> so I presume either pam_unix is writing directly to syslog or
> the proper facility name for catching these messages needs to
> be discovered.

Unfortunately, the syslog facility names are hard-coded and very narrow.
"cron" just happens to be one of the few. The others are auth, authpriv,
daemon, kern, lpr, mail, mark, news, security, syslog, user, uucp, and
local0 through local7. Kind of annoying, really, and one of syslog's major
shortcomings.