sometimes sound

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 22:07:44 UTC 2005

Peter Lesterhuis wrote:
> With some applications I can hear sound, with others I cann't.
> When playing an audio cd I only hear sound when using digital audio
> extraction (using xmms). I do not hear sound in the "analog" play mode.

Well, that implies you either do not have an analogue cable between your
CD-ROM and your sound card, or it is faulty.

Later, you say:
> -I checked the cd-drive for an analog output to be connected to the
> soundcard, but mine does not seem to have one.

For what it's worth,
http://www.omnicast.net/~tmcfadden/guides/build/CDROMrear1.jpg is a good
photo of what you should be looking for.

In any case, you will be limited to digital sound and hence xmms without
one.

> Gnome cd player seems to work, but without sound.
Gnome CD player assumes an analogue cable...

> TV applications
> (zapping or tv-time) show good video, but no sound.

What TV card do you have?

> Now I wonder wether I have to live with this, or if something else is
> wrong. For instance the sound drivers. In dmesg there is, as far as I
> can see, no output of loaded sounddrivers.

You wouldn't normally expect there to be one.

> Some info about my system and drivers:
> 2.6.10-1.766_FC3
> # lspci | grep audio
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R)
> AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
>
> # lsmod | grep snd
> snd_intel8x0           33249  2
> snd_ac97_codec         67489  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_pcm_oss            47989  0
> snd_mixer_oss          17089  2 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                93001  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              29125  1 snd_pcm
> snd                    52645  8
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore              10017  3 saa7134,snd
> snd_page_alloc          9541  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

That looks normal to me.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | They say that every cloud has a silver lining, which
Exeter    Devon    UK | must be a bit alarming for airline pilots...