"mount" as a user

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Sat Feb 26 00:16:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 16:34, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 02:35:36PM -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> > > I suggest using autofs to mount them automatically on demand.
> > > <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Automount.html>
> > I was able to get it working but I don't have rw on the files in the
> > mounts. How to I get that working?
> [...]
> > tweety   -fstype=smbfs,rw,username=me,password=pass
> > ://192.168.1.20/tweetyroot
>
> I'm not sure how to do this with smbfs; someone with more Samba experience
> than me can probably help. At casual glance, looks like you're doing the
> right thing on the client system.

I don't think so. I think the problem is on the client side with autofs,
or more directly with mount. Because autofs mounts the files as root, I
don't have rw persmissions, or so it seems. I know for a fact that om
the samba side, on the machine I'm connecting to, I have full rights. I
can use the same username/password from and windows box and connect to
the same share and I have full rights. create, delete, modify, etc

Since only root can run mount how do you map drives and have rights to
be able to make changes on those drives while logged in as a non-root
user?

Thanks,
James