"mount" as a user

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Feb 26 01:41:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:16:30PM -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> I don't think so. I think the problem is on the client side with autofs,
> or more directly with mount. Because autofs mounts the files as root, I

autofs doesn't mount files; it mounts filesystems. I don't know how smbfs
works; if you mount a FAT filesystem directly, you have to specify a user
who will own all of the files, because there's not such a concept
intrinsically.

With NFS, the files retain their original owners (as defined by UID), and
(assuming the filesystem is exported rw), permissions are basically as if
the filesystem were local. (This is a security problem, since NFS trusts the
UIDs given by the client machines -- it's a "trusted host" model. Not a
problem if you control every system on the network, but otherwise a big
shortcoming.)