Temporary Root Authroization For Gnome

micheal sundance at sundanceloki.com
Sat Feb 26 02:50:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 20:41 -0500, Rich Renomeron wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 18:16 -0500, Michael E. Crute wrote:
>
> > I would like to be able to do this with Gnome so that the file manager
> > can run as root until I tell it to "forget the user authorization".
> > Right now I have two alternatives, log in to Gnome as root or use a
> > command prompt neither of which I want to do.
>
> It's cheesy, but it will work:
>
> ssh -Y root at localhost nautilus --no-desktop --browser
>
> Gnome seems to intercept the ssh process and pop up a dialog for the
> appropriate password password.  I tried it from Actions->Run
> application, which means if you go to the trouble to make a launcher
> (.desktop file) for it, it should work too.  The -Y makes the X
> forwarding work.
>
> For others on the list who aren't opposed to having a shell window open,
> you can also look into using sudo, which can let you run most any
> command as root when you need to, with varying degrees of control over
> which commands are allowed and who can run them, and whether or not they
> need to enter (their personal) password, and other things.  Handy for
> when you need to edit a config file, but don't feel like opening a full
> root shell, or when you trust someone to do a specific admin task, but
> don't want to share the root password.
>
> Good luck,
> Rich
>
> --
>  From the Notebook of Rich Renomeron
>  Sick of popups?  Use Firefox. http://www.mozilla.org/firefox

My very crude answer to this is a simple script in my home directory
that calls sudo to open nautilus --nodesktop.  I have my /etc/sudoers
set to require my password.  I also set up a custom launcher on the
GNOME panel that calls the script.

 Double click on the launcher, it prompts for my password, then I have a
root nautilus window.  Crude and Kludgy but it works

MC