"mount" as a user

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Sat Feb 26 03:34:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 20:41, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:16:30PM -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> > I don't think so. I think the problem is on the client side with autofs,
> > or more directly with mount. Because autofs mounts the files as root, I
>
> autofs doesn't mount files; it mounts filesystems.
Yes, bad explanation on my part...

> I don't know how smbfs
> works; if you mount a FAT filesystem directly, you have to specify a user
> who will own all of the files, because there's not such a concept
> intrinsically.
How do you specify the user that will own the files? Seems like no
matter what I do root owns them. (From Craig's response) I tried
specifying 'user' and my own username like this(see after rw):
tweety   -fstype=smbfs,rw,user,username=jpifer,password=pass
://192.168.1.20/tweetyroot
OR
tweety   -fstype=smbfs,rw,myuser,username=myuser,password=pass
://192.168.1.20/tweetyroot

I'll have to play around with other file systems, like NFS, and see what
I get.

Thanks,
James