List Rules

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 04:09:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:47:30 -0700, James McKenzie
<jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> All:
>
> Here is the first edition of the List Rules.
>
> The first thing is that I, like you, are a regular member of the list
> but have read through many messages about 'netequitte' within this list.
>
> Just a couple of hints:
>
> 1.  Set your mailer to send only plain text messages to the list.  HTML
> mail does not work well, is blocked by some of our list members, and
> sadly wastes bandwidth.  Also, some members, like myself, disabled
> display of HTML mail because they can be used for spam detectors and can
> send malware code.
> 2.  Place your replies at the bottom of messages.  This is an old method
> used for many years.  Preface any text to be replied to with a
> character, most folks use a greater than sign '>' but any special
> printable character will suffice.
> 3.  Search the list archives before posting a question.  Many topics
> have been discussed extensively in prior messages.  Also, please read
> through the Release Notes for Fedora Core.  There are major changes with
> this release, including making Secure Linux (SELinux) a default.
> 4.  Placing two dashes and a space between message content and your
> signature, will in most cases, result in automatic cutoff of your
> signature when your messages are replied to.  Please note:  Some mailers
> will not display any content to include this line and any lines below it.
> 5.  To unsubscibe from the list you can visit the Fedora Mail List web
> page at http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
> 6.  Please contact me directly with suggestions and comments.

Just a couple of comments..

First, i found it great that you didn't just "state" the rules, but
you also gave an explanation to them. This way they seem more logical
instead of just a buch of stupid detail for picki people.

Second, I i'd just suggest that, when you mention the use of the list
archives, to include one link to a good useful archive, like MARC one
at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

Also, it may be interesting to post a link to some page with more
details like archive search hints and a list of FAQs/Wikis.

Cheers,

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680