FC2 -> FC3 Upgrade on Toshiba Tecra 8100 Causes All PCM Sounds to be Scratchy - Workaround?

Ian Wallace iwallace at eforceglobal.com
Sat Feb 26 05:43:46 UTC 2005

Hello everyone.  I've just recently upgraded my FC2 laptop to FC3 and to
my dismay the PCM playback (xine, xmms, aplay) all produce staticy
sounds.  I've googled on the subject and tried the following to correct
it:

(As an aside sound in FC2 was spotty on this same machine ... however
during it's life time, and several kernels the sound did work at one
point, it always worked on FC1).

*) Made sure that my volumes aren't muted etc.  I hear the sound, it's
just horrid.

*) Added commands to /etc/modprobe.conf so that the sound levels were
saved and restored ... that appears to work.

*) I think I've disabled the mysterious IEC958 device that everyone
mentions needs to be turned off (I think that's it).  The machine has a
Yamaha chipset in it which displays as:

Vendor: Yamaha
Model: Corporation YMF-744B [DS-1S Audio Controller]
Module: snd-ymfpci

This is in Gnome.  Sound doesn't work (for PCM) in Gnome or KDE same
issue - crackling sound).

*) The modules appear to have loaded.  lsmod displays tons of snd-*
modules etc.

*) I tried setting up a /etc/asound.conf file so that it could 'duplex'
sounds being played over the PCM channel (this was off the ALSA
website).

*) I've tried to get sound working in Xine by switching the backend that
it uses (to no avail).  I've also tried, under KDE, to change the
Gstreamer settings for the sink and source ... to no avail.

*) With this kernel I have typically had to set in /etc/grub.conf
acpi=off - not sure if that's messing things up.  I removed that and
tried again but it didn't seem to help.

Where can I go for further information?  Can I upgrade some packages?  I
guess what I'm confused about is that CD playing works great (crystal
clear).  PCM playback ... just crackles and hisses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  If this has been dealt
within the archives just point me to the link so that I can read about
it.  I've tried searching but haven't really run across this same issue
(nor solved it with any of the advice that I found).

cheers
ian