List Rules (Follow Up to Comments)

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 06:33:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:36:32 -0700, James McKenzie
<jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> >

> > Just a couple of comments..
> >
> > First, i found it great that you didn't just "state" the rules, but
> > you also gave an explanation to them. This way they seem more logical
> > instead of just a buch of stupid detail for picki people.
> >
> > Second, I i'd just suggest that, when you mention the use of the list
> > archives, to include one link to a good useful archive, like MARC one
> > at
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2
>
> There are several locations for the list archives.  Please use which
> ever one that you prefer.
> >
> > Also, it may be interesting to post a link to some page with more
> > details like archive search hints and a list of FAQs/Wikis.
> >
> There are several Wiki's.  Some are dedicated to specific hardware or
> software packages.  I've used Google to find them.

James, it seems like you misunderstood me. I didn't mean to "vote" on
one particular archive here. The idea I was trying to pass was just to
have, in the list rules e-mail, some links to support the suggestions
given.

Countless times we've seen people answer to questions with a "look at
the archives", unknowingly that lots of newbies even know about them.
in te beggining, I myself didn't. So, whenever we suggest to someone
to look at the archives, I don't think that would be too much trouble
to include a link to them there.

The particular one I pointed is just a matter of personal preference,
I found it to work great *for me*. But if one is to be in the "offical
list rules", maybe the redhat one should be used. My point is:
Together with the rules, supply the reader with a link to /some/
chosen archive or, even better, to a list of archives / FAQs / Wikis.
He can go from there.

The truth is that lots of information is available, but it is actually
spread over lots of different webpages. Wouldn't it be nice to have
one web-page indexing all the others? And one simple (monthly?)
reminder of this page could potentially reduce a lot the list traffic.

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680