fc3 connect to Windowz behide router via smb

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 25 16:11:06 UTC 2005

Satish Balay wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, James McKenzie wrote:
>

>>Satish Balay wrote:

>>>The port number for smb is tcp:139.
>>>

>>If you are trying to connect via Netbui, it is not routable.  NETBIOS is.  If
>>you can see the other machine, and it has the appropriate ports open, then you
>>should be able to connect to it using Samba.
>>

>Hmm.. I don't know what uses what [Konquoror uses netbui?]- but I've
>been able to route port 139 via ssh-portforwarding - and use
>'smbmount' to connect to mount it.
>
>Satish

The Win98 machine does not use netbui but tcp/ip.Within a lan, in a
machine with fc3 I used Konqoror and enter "smb://win98IPaddress/shared"
as url, and I can access the shared folds in W98 of other machine, doing
this in Firefox can also access the same Win98 machine and browse the
shared folders in it, can click on file and download it, quite handy to
download files from Windowz into FC3. But when I did this at work tried
to access the same w98 machine at home which behide a router, could not
get through the router, so my guess must be the port forwarding problem.
I will try the port forwarding in my router to see if this will work.
Ths Satish.