List Rules

Hacksaw hacksaw at hacksaw.org
Sat Feb 26 14:13:08 UTC 2005

>>"Suggestions to ensure the
>> widest readership of your question or problem." This gets the goal across
>> nicely.
>
>Isnt list guidelines a more concise expression of that?

No. The why of it isn't there.

Sadly, people misunderstand why some folks harp on netiquette. Sure,
netiquette is about irritation prevention, but if you flip that coin, you see
that it  helps to remove barriers to communication.

The "rules" of the net are, in essence, a list of things that cause cognitive
dissonance to the reader. In a place like alt.discordia, maybe that's good.
But if you want help with your problem, or just want to be heard, it's
essential to follow the standard.

I will admit that "Suggestions to ensure the widest readership of your
question or problem." is an eyeful, and if you can suggest a more concise way
to put it that conveys the entire meaning explicitly, I'd be happy to put my
shoulder behind it.

--
Melior amare chemia
http://www.hacksaw.org -- http://www.privatecircus.com -- KB1FVD