Network Manager

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sat Feb 26 14:09:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 23:12 -0700, David Donnelly wrote:

> Not sure if I should ask this here but what the heck. What are your
> issues with NetworkManager. I am actually stunned / impressed that this
> works using ndiswrapper. Which driver(s)are you using that aren't
> working?

My card has an Intersil/Prism 2 chipset and uses the orinoco_cs driver.
The driver currently does not support scanning, which largely reduces
the usefulness of NM, but even when I enter my details manually NM fails
to connect to my access point. Dan has confirmed that this is purely a
driver issue, and hopefully the next release of orinoco_cs will address
many of these issues.

Actually, I am not stunned that NM works using ndiswrapper. NM needs
good, well-written drivers. ndiswrapper gives you access to Windows
drivers, i.e. drivers written by people who actually had the hardware
specs and technical details of whatever it is they're writing a driver
for. Most linux drivers are written by people who do not have similar
access. Dan has said on more than one occasion that the biggest problem
with NM is that linux wireless drivers suck.

Best, Darren